Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nancy 2 of 2

The other Nancy in my life is my friend from New York City who is interning at a women's home in Alabama. She is the same Nancy as from New Orleans but not the same Nancy whose parents I stayed with. This Nancy is Nuyorican and drinks coffee. Light and sweet. She was the inspiration for my heading to New Orleans in the first place as I wanted to visit her and as she was scheduled to be in Nola, to Nola I went.

But I also wanted to see her in her new-as-of-September existence as intern in rural Alabama. It was wonderful, being a guest, I should say. The residents (who are there as an alternative to incarceration and who all qualify by having some sort of life-controlling addiction) varied in their opinions of the program, I'm sure. I didn't ask any of them directly. But I heard tons of stories and suffice to say that there is a true work of God going on to help the workers stay sane and to set some of the women free.

We went to the Waffle House and Auburn University campus. We watched a matinee of "He's just not that into you" and had sushi. All sorts of regular life stuff that Nancy had kind of forgotten about in a haze of rides and doctor's visits and court dates and medications and chores. Nancy’s first beignetWe even made beignets from the Cafe Du Monde mix I brought from New Orleans. We laughed, we cried. We drove around. It was a great visit.

Among the more ministry-related activities, we attended bible study at Miss Kim's house where she served us taco soup and a frozen creme/berry dessert, quite lovely. The next morning, I had the pleasure of meeting Miss Kim in attempt to help Harvest Evangelism with their web presence. I would post the new blog I helped her start but it's still under construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment