Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Jersey Green

Yesterday was Saint Patty's Day and we didn't wear any green, but Shirlie made this terrific saag in the time it took me to brush my teeth. Her food blog is too serious to post un-photogenic food shots.


This is Shirlie's lovely family. We think the last time we saw each other was five years ago. Funny: the first time I met Shirlie's husband David was the first time they met--it was New Year's Eve and she was hanging out with me in NYC. The second time I met David, he proposed to her. The third time was their wedding. :) Then the pattern breaks because the next time I saw them their daughter had yet to be born. This is time five and here she is, the cutie pie:

She lives on the Jersey coast so we took a brisk walk along the shore line, you are going to be even more jealous once it gets warmer here, I am.

Shirlie and I made dinner loosely based off of this recipe
I totally busted the basil but somehow the final product was yummy and spicy and David scrubbed the pot, so I was spared most the consequences.

Today, I woke up too late for the morning latte ala David, but Shirlie just sat down with a spinach feta egg scramble she whipped together while I've been posting this. Later we're going into the city to see my friend Anna's mini furniture show.

Regarding my emotional health, my counselor said I'm doing "hard work"* facing some tough issues like shame, trusting that God really truly has a plan for me, translating the affection my dad has for me that he expresses to other people into what I crave which are words of affirmation. BLAH! It does feel good to cry. And do I really need to blog about all this? Well, friends, trying to be real. I'll figure out how much I want to share, and I can always edit.

*Isn't it great to feel affirmed in work when I haven't been gainfully employed in over two months?

2 comments:

  1. Irene, let us say it, we affirm you! Actually just I was saying it, but John walked up and said, "WE," cause you post on his blog. Your hard work is really good for you, so good for you for going through it. I'm going to leave the NYC link for you on your FB now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi 'Ween! Love your BOG! I got through most ALL of ur blogs!

    I love the photos...GREAT Pictures--'cept that green nasty stuff from March 17!!

    I am trying to this Blog site, too! But maybe will use FB when I get too distracted--for now I like the change, I am kind of bored of FB's blue and white...(plus I like the design of my page--i think its makeadifference.blogspot

    You're great! (And I love the emotional stuff in your blog, too...!)

    Love you! Amy

    ReplyDelete