Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nancy 1 of 2

My former colleague Nancy grew up in Alabama and her parents were nice enough to host me for a day. They drove me all around Selma, the birthplace of the Civil Rights movement, looking at houses and telling me terrific stories about women hiding jewelry and silverware in their houses to prevent those damn Yankees from stealing them. The Circled House This is the house that Miss Juanita lived in where Mr Lonnie drove past every day until they finally met. This house is amazingly (to me) two houses down from the house Mr Lonnie lived in when he was a child. Fascinatingly intact family history to a west coast daughter of immigrants.

They also took me to dinner at the Tally Ho where the waitress Annette (photo: center) told me a joke that I should probably not post here involving a Baptist preacher. I did promise to tell it to Nancy as this was their usual repartee. Tally Ho with Annette Miss Juanita presented me with an "I'm an Auburn fan" t-shirt and also picked up an Alabama map to aid on my drive to Opelika the next day. Isn't she sweet? Not to be outdone, Mr Lonnie fixed me some sausage and bacon for breakfast the next morning ("I didn't cook you breakfast, I cooked breakfast for MYSELF and there are leftovers," or something like that was his response to my thanks) and let me eat a slice of his pineapple upside-down cake. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment