Saturday, September 05, 2009

Holy falafel, Batman

I need to stop using "holy" in my speech when referring to any other than God. It is a careless word that I will have to give account for in The Day. Three days in Greece: Athens, Corinth, and a day on the Aegean shore (if they call it that). Athens is dead in my opinion. Corinth was like Ephesus: far from new testament vibrancy. [The demise of 'great' civilizations that foreshadows America's decline? I am a pessimist when it comes to my country, 'tis not of thee I sing. There was an Australian man who sang a song about America at Times Square Church. He has the faith I don't.] Beach day with new friends Jasmine, Ayana, and Dan was a wonderful change of pace. One location reached by crowded city bus. Stayed put for four hours except for the twenty foot walk to the water from our towels. I have described the quality of the water as opalescent. Beautiful. And the gentle consistent waves provided a lullaby for our sightseeing-weary bodies.

Israel is shockingly similar in topography to eastern Washington. Much more humid but from the air-conditioned coach I snapped many shots of vistas that I hope to juxtapose with my Badger Mountain photos. Just as a fun exercise. I don't need to see another Roman city excavation my entire life. And it turns out (if I had researched just a smidgen I would have known this a long time ago) that my favorite cities Sychar (Sechem) and Bethany are both in the west bank Palestinian Authority controlled part of Israel. I guess I could try to go if I ever return on my own. You see, I was part of a big tour group so my itinerary was en masse. I love Jerusalem. Beautiful weather and history and people and hills. I definitely want to go back.

This is pretty alinear because I am jet lagged and killing time til it's an acceptable hour to be awake. Another proof of my irregular mood is that I have not said a word about food save for the title. :) More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment