Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bunny and Monkey

Writing from Gosia's apartment (which is huge btw) in Warsaw.

###

Monday, I painted two walls in Northern Pear Tree. Very slowly. Then blogged the two-ago entry. After she got off work, Juanita and I met on the 7 to go to Tiffany's place. We arrived early to a text message that she was on her way so we wified in the entry. Oblivious to the comings and goings of the other apartment residents. Tiffany welcomed me with a request to go to Duane Reade to pick up paper towels. Juanita asked for white thread to sew a button. I got distracted in the candy aisle and eventually returned with the listed items and three packs of Cadbury mini eggs. Tiffany's place looks great, she's made lots of nice improvements (including paint) over the past two years. And a sweet couch with fun, colorful pillows. She fed us Portobello mushroom pizza (basically sandwiched between mozzarella--yum) and pasta and asparagus. Photo to come. (I know you're saying: promises, promises.) We talked about Driscoll and TSC and parents and friends and growth. It was good. Juany and I headed home around 9pm. I am now a 7 train fan.

Tuesday, I painted the Driftwood walls. Quickly. Because I met Linsey at her Jersey City apartment (well, technically the PATH Grove St. station) at 2PM. Her place with Kristin is a calm sanctuary with plants and amazing furniture. Lunch was mushroom risotto with rosemary. And coffee. We talked about work and the arts and old times and she gave me some tips on Berlin. I skimmed her CV on trip back into downtown and later sent it off to my Wellesley theatre contacts (Ken from Sanibel post)--wouldn't that be fabulous??

Called on Elder Donovan at TSC who visited with me for about twenty minutes. He asked some good questions and reflected with some good advice. And prayed for me. As Treg later quipped to me, I feel loved.

Also got to sit with Alice for a bit and catch up about her new job responsibilities which are really cool and chat with some other folks in the missions department. Including one fun talk about languages and what are the five key phrases to learn. Mine are: "Thank you", "I want", "I like", "Now", and "Good". [I have learned these in Polish.]

Tiffany joined me for service that night which was very poignant and pointed and pertinent. Sapporo afterward--she confessed she'd been there since last time. Ha ha. Really good chat about emotions and some things I've been thinking about.

Wednesday I did touch ups and then went to Brooklyn to see Laura's new kitchen (and baby stuff) and we had lunch at some place that served dim sum. :) Her kitchen, and closet, and pocket doors are very cool. Jason has done a good job. And her baby is set to come this week. She says that most people do not stand up to offer her their seat on the subway. Only black men. And older black ladies. Things that make you go hmm. Two other notes on the subway: there was a cellist playing on my ride in, quite good. I gave him $1 but since there was no money can, I awkwardly placed the bill on his knee as he continued to play. And on my trip later to JFK with luggage, a young man stood to offer me his seat. Maybe it's just Brooklyn riders who suck?

Raced back to Juany's apartment because I made a last minute appointment with my counselor for another phone session. It was really good. I told her that after last session, I was pretty down. But so many things have happened in the last few weeks that I can really see progress! It's working! :)

Then Juanita and I went to dinner at Taverna Kyclades--a place I'd ordered take out lunch from several times back in 1998 when I first worked in NYC on a movie that was being shot in Astoria. It was so yummy. And they give you free dessert that is kind of like a Napoleon. Juanita said Yelp is right on. We got there early to avoid the wait.

So then I typed up the last post. And met Stacey at JFK. We rode the air train/train back. On the escalator up, a woman was relating to her friends how much she loves air train. I could not help but agree. At 'home', Stacey met Anderson, the bunny. And ate some leftover fried calamari and Greek salad.

At 2:30 AM, I knocked on the neighbor's door and pleasantly asked them to turn down their music. Which they did.

Thursday, Stacey was up at 8 AM so we decided to take her into Manhattan for a quick look around since it's her first time to NYC. Juanita took the day off citing that most the rest of the office was out for Passover. We had beautiful breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien and then strolled around Central Park. It was a beautiful day. Perfect early spring. Flowers and children and nannies. We walked fast back to Times Square and then hopped on the train. The 7 was so quick that we had plenty of time to gather our things and go to the airport.

Not much to say about the flight. It was an hour late leaving but somehow on time arrival in Amsterdam. I sat across the aisle from Stacey and my row mates were a Dutch couple. The wife taught me the phrase City Trip and told me they're training for a 50 mile walk and that apparently these walks happen all over the world and were inspired by JFK's statement that the modern generation cannot even walk 50 miles in a day. They like Merrells and bought new pairs on their NYC visit. I told her I debated a long time whether to bring my Merrells or my sneakers.

The Amsterdam airport is truly impressive. There are lounge chairs and decadent chocolate shops. Great bathrooms where the soap smells good. Wow. The plane into Warsaw was small and I had middle seat but slept for most of it. Standing at the luggage carousel, I quip to Stacey: I hope Gosia's here. And as I've learned from my past arrivals to foreign countries, the pick up is always there. :) This time, with her dad. :) Who gave us a ride to Gosia's place. Which is huge.

We took naps and then walked around the old town which has been completely rebuilt post-WWII. Witnessed hundreds of people observing the Stations of the Cross outdoors along this pedestrian-only boulevard. Impressive. And kind of freaky. Had hot chocolate at the newly opened Starbucks--Gosia was literally jumping for joy--I have it on video. It was really cold last night and Warsaw looked austere in its post Communist aesthetic. The bus is fun. And learning Polish is fun.

Today (woo hoo, I'm current!) Gosia finally made some noise to rouse us at 11AM. Yummy 'breakfast' of farmers cheese, tomatoes, and buttered bread. We headed to the train station where we got the famous Polish runaround but succeeded in tickets to Krakow and Berlin and back. Then went to the Warsaw Rising (as in Up-rising against the Germans) Museum. Pretty cool and so revealed my gaping history knowledge. Embarrassing.

We tried to eat at a traditional Polish grandma-type restaurant but it was closed along with everything else--Saturday, and the special Saturday before Easter fast day. Some people carried baskets with eggs and some green (I suspect it's analogous to bitter herb of Passover) and a plastic chicken. They carry this around with them to church, get it blessed with holy water, then don't touch it for the rest of the day, eating the eggs Easter Sunday. Monday after Easter, apparently people get doused with water by strangers. A city-wide wet t-shirt contest all in the name of religion. Bad religion. We've been making Good Religion jokes. Anyway. It's late. I'm tired. Sorry for the rambling. We eventually ate dinner at a Jewish restaurant. Open = Good Religion. And then ice cream. Lodi. And then falafel at an Egyptian place. Walked through Saxon Axis park. Pretty. Again, pictures forthcoming.

Love you all. Good night.

Oh, the monkey part of the post is that I took a couple pictures of Mooch around Warsaw. It's funny to pull a stuffed monkey out of my bag.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Irene. I'm so glad you made it to Poland safely. Enjoy yourself! I also apologize for not coming to NYC or Brooklyn to see you during the week. It was hectic with my mom leaving for Qatar and she was only here for a few days! I hope you'll give me a raincheck.... Love to you and thanks for your updates.

    ReplyDelete