Thursday, February 26, 2009

Po' boys

Left my swimsuit at my sister's but she was kind enough to send it to my hotel and my mom was nice enough to not get after me for forgetting it because she didn't remind me. If only escaping blame and consequence were always that smooth ;) I did leave my shower gel in the porta shower outside the church where I was staying prior to my current digs. All of this is the immaterial material.

Stepped out of a van cab from MSY into a debriefing of street evangelism team at 1 am. Spent the next two days getting to know the team and meeting people in New Orleans, Jackson Square specifically. Highlights were Christopher the rent-collecting guitar addict, Cliff the homeless dog owner who helped my new friend John fill up ziplock bags with dog food for other homeless folks dogs, laughing with Patricia about her new emperial version of mandarin wherein "bu" is correct standalone, listening to Denny and Pastor Rick's stories, and of course getting to sing and pray with my dear friend Nancy. So much happened I cannot tell it all.

Now that I'm not sleeping on a couch or floor but instead posin' posh at my hotel it all seems quiet but dull. The room really is pretty (thanks, Cheri!) and has a ton of towels but I think about Nate and Joey--two young guys who are voluntarily hitchhiking around to witness to homeless people. I learned about them the same day I checked in.

Tonight I met a fashion photographer who told me about the downside to working with celebrities. And then a sweet local man helped me negotiate the street car. I signed up for a glass-blowing class tomorrow. The lady on the phone said: be careful, it's addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment