Friday, October 02, 2009

Vanakkam from Chennai

That's greeting in Tamil, the local language in this state of India, of which Chennai is the capitol. I've been here just over a day, my course does not begin until Monday. My luggage has not arrived yet so I find myself in my Montenegran predicament but in a Taiwanese climate. The mothballs, I journaled--hoping to be able to post from my iPod notepad but the IT folks here won't give me the wifi password and instead I'm interneting from one of their machines--remind me of Taipei, the first international destination of my life when I was a wee 6 years old. Anyway, one of the ladies here at the Hindustan Bible Institute where I am spending the weekend said I need to get more aggressive (i.e. Indian) and call up Air India and demand they reimburse me for my desperate situation. I feel my American anti-confrontational lethargy rising up. Must...overcome...cultural...morays...must...acclimate...

Besides that obvious inconvenience, I've loved the food and feel very safe on this campus. My roommate, a Canadian of Indian descent, will arrive tonight at 1AM. I think I'll make her a welcome sign. I've nothing else to do today other than perhaps purchase a scarf to 'cover my chest' and be more appropriately dressed here. HOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment