Saturday, October 17, 2009

A re re re

Hindi equivalent of 'boy oh boy.' Week 2 of my apologetics course is complete, one more to go. The teaching has been really great, only surpassed by the lives of the speakers themselves, my growing Indian family comprised of classmates and staff, and, of course, southern Indian food. They say that I eat just like a real Indian person. :) That would be that I've got the index extension on thumb flick just at the mid-point between third and ring fingers combined with nearly imperceptible slurp.


My other new expressions include kayka (meaning 'sweet') and acha ('oh yeah'). It's Diwali today, the festival of lights. Early celebration included a retinue of fireworks and firecrackers last night and round two beginning at 6AM this morning--my friend tells me it's the kids who wake up early begging their parents to let them ignite the first of many noise makers--it really sounds like a war zone, I'm not being dramatic.

The women of Batch 8 (l-r): Shalini, Avanti, Priyanka, Shiv, me.


Me on what I wanted to say was the Indian Ocean but I was corrected by Shalini that it is the Bay of Bengal.

Suresh, Arnold, Praveen and David.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds as though you are having a blast!!! The firecrackers during that time do sound like a war zone.

    ReplyDelete