Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Dhaka Taka Duck

Three days in Dhaka, Bangladesh to visit my friends Mirko and Fabienne who are Swiss and here on UN assignment. I need to look up the weather in NYC, I think I am in for a shock. Yup: from 90s here to 50s there. Well, good thing I have a sweatshirt. The rest of RZIM was amazing and I have lots to say that will probably not make it here if Israel is any precedent. Instead, here are some photos of crazy colorful Dhaka.

Fabienne, my terrific camera-shy hostess with the mostess. Bangla, bargaining, shopping, facializing, driving.










Kitten. Officially named Olivia but called by Fabienne Mamooch. Which I love because its like my monkey. This cat is super cute and biting. She took a nap on my bosom yesterday.






Went to the countryside with Katrina, a Scottish woman who is recently arrived here with her Swiss husband and baby. They were most recently living in Ecuador.

Here are some village boys who said hi to us. 







The night before, Mirko and Fabiennes neighbor Sonya had us over for dinner. It was an amusing night of International English of which I am not fluent. Sonya is Montenegren and also works in the UN and Christina, Mirkos boss who is French, was a guest.






Fabienne and I had a ride in a fancy CNG (like the autos of Chennai only green and apparently run on natural gas).





New market. Fabienne bought big plastic mats for the rooftop party they are hosting tonight. I bought two coconut fiber scrubs. Passed on the live chicken.









Rickshaws are all decked out and have a nice tinkling bell whereas the cars and CNGs all honk discordantly.







My room. They have two guest rooms, well, one is the cats. Sorry Im not using apostrophes. I cant find the key. So this is my advertisement if anyone wants to visit Dhaka.






Puran Dhaka (Old Dhaka) tour with an architect-professor and founder of Urban Study Group. Fascinating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment