Monday, August 10, 2009

Day in the Life

I don't have the energy to write something deep or reflective, and it occurred to me that I could just to a day's details like I used to when I was in, say, Krakow. This thought invigorated me.

A photo from a few days ago, but it closely resembles this morning's breakfast except that instead of Banilla Stonyfield yogurt, I had Maple Brown Cow. Had to hurry because I slept in til 8:30AM. No time for a shower, and since my roommate Pamela commented on how she didn't know how long my hair was until last night when she caught me re-doing the double loop, I wore it in a ponytail. Semi-down.

Got off the A train and rounded the corner to the office at 9:58AM. Not bad at all. As long as my boss doesn't catch me wandering in after 10AM, I figure I'm safe. There is another freelance producer working, who doesn't have much work. So I'm glad to be in operation, so to say. There's a lot of jargon/mouth-fill tossed around liberally at work, especially on conference calls, and--since I've been away from the East coast--a lot of cussing. I know I sound very adolescent and shielded but I am shocked. Well, I was shocked. I think it's worn off by now, business day ten for me.

What did I do all day? Updated a copydeck, reviewed some Relationship Management emails for a pharma company, attended a meeting with a 3rd party site who's going to build a microsite for another client, made two cups of tea in the I Am Not A Paper Cup that Kristina has loaned me, ate leftover spinach from last night and then went out to pick up some rice and beans from a favorite Puerto Rican place of mine--they let me go even though I was short 75 cents.

Juanita cancelled on me for dinner--not feeling well. :( So then the day was over and I had Nothing To Do. Smiled at the tourists who were taking pictures of the subway art, road the train back uptown, kind of squished and thought this little kid was getting fresh, then thought "he's just short", went to my apartment so I could pee in private. Nothing like a 4-stall women's room for 300+ employees to induce shy bladder.

It didn't rain all day. Which kind of makes me mad because (and this so reminds me of my dad) the forecast keeps saying thunderstorms and so I don't plan to go lap swimming and then the day is perfectly decent and nearly cloudless. So I went to Lincoln Center and reserved tickets to Mostly Mozart concert that I'm going to with my friend Kara. I've done this one other time and it's fabulous because she has a doctorate in Music Theory and I know I will get to ask her all sorts of silly questions like: 'how is it that we can hear the solo violinist so clearly above the rest of the symphony' and 'who do you like better: Beethoven or Bach?...why?'

After I got tickets, I came back to the apartment and texted Tiffany and emailed and stuff. Then I got hungry and made this:
It's a three-egg patty with spinach and ricotta. (If I seem a little spinach obsessed, know it's mere coincidence that I had spinach last night for dinner and then had this chopped spinach in the freezer. Or maybe not.) Dressed with some sea salt and crushed red pepper. It was edible. Nothing spectacular, but it's what I had.

Then I poured some Maple Brown Cow yogurt (you're going to suspect me of product placement...not so! I just like these brands, really...) over some more blueberries and put the bowl in the freezer. Read three chapters of 1 Kings and then, voila! This inspired dessert is actually the impetus of my post. Wanted to share what turned out to be a very yummy, refreshing, and healthy-ish sweet alternative. Has anyone seen Julie & Julia yet? Well, I plan to, once I get my paycheck. :)

[Postscript: re-read my blog on Alabama and that's where I got the idea to put yogurt and berries in the freezer...from Miss Kim! I'm no genius. Just forgetful.]

No comments:

Post a Comment