Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Old Cypress Apartment

I visited Gubuo Gongyu three times while in Shanghai for ten days. It's where my mom lived from birth to ten years of age with her parents and two brothers. She remembers the courtyard garden in the middle of the apartment complex. Gubuo means old cypress.

In response to My Humble House

Simple ordinary life more than seven-tens' years*
Affordable rent paid to gain vogue location**

Oleander tree dusty green, leans over pavilion
Wisteria vine fragrant purple, cover back days

Dotted playground toys, shaded, often chatting neighbors
Corner home door ajar, afternoon scribbling poems

River ocean travel around finally arrive at insight
Spared much wind and rain, inherit peaceful living


*my mom turns 80 this year
**my friend asked what they pay in rent now, it's in a hip neighborhood--see coffee shop photo from three storefronts down the street.




Fumi Coffee down the street

No comments:

Post a Comment