Saturday, April 23, 2016

Double dare

First time from across the Pacific Ocean, early afternoon at Huangpu River


Over Huangpu river, the midday haze* hovers
Mystery draws heart to go leisurely thinking
Red flags flutter a warning that lingers
Blue pants pausing seat, tears spring up
One shoulder totes words a thousand moons past**
Ten-thousand phones shutter glint, two moving barges
At Waitan dare to turn and look back
My loving ancestors*** gone to the new city


*I was amused that my weather app called the polluted air "foggy"
**one thousand months is a bit over 83 years, about the time my grandfather would have written the poem I wrote this in response to (1932)
***I so appreciate that my grandpa had an emotional connection to my grandmother. I really wished we could have traveled together. I think it would have been so fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment