Monday, April 25, 2016

LJZ, XTD, BZD and other Shanghai acronyms

I was pleased to see all the subway signs in English/pinyin. It makes getting around so much easier. Also, I started to understand everyone's pinyin abbreviations--LJZ for Lujiazui (the Pudong neighborhood with the skyscrapers that make up the skyline that is extensively photographed from the Bund), XTD for Xintiandi (an upscale neighborhood in the FCC--former French Concession), and my self-coined acronym BZD for "bu zhi dao", or "I don't know." Tiffany, my friend, was not supportive of BZD but I persist in using it anyway as a slangy Chinglish counterpoint to IDK.

Went to dinner with friends. After eating, I wrote this. (In response to this poem.)

Cross the river, traffic and pollutants announce the rise of power.
Holding a wine glass while eating, what decadence, ha!
Must be dreaming of some experience unattainable,
Ask the waiter, "How do you get here?"*

*One of our friends didn't know how to get to the restaurant and called for help, unfortunately, none of us were able to help and we finally resorted to handing the phone to the waiter for help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment