Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Plants Chinese like

Last week, my mom and I talked about the types of plants Chinese people like, and therefore use in poetry. They are the plum blossom, the chrysanthemum, lotus flower, the pine, and the cypress. Why? Because these are hearty in hard times: blooming in winter, or beauty emerging from mirky waters, or staying green in cold, harsh weather. This really tells about Chinese mentality: prizing the ability to endure and flourish in difficulty. It made me think about plants westerners write about: oak, rose, daisy. I have to think more on this. So this plays into this week's 2nd poem. Nainai references the pine and cypress which symbolize faithfulness and steadfastness.

The second bit of literary trivia to note is that for weddings it is traditional to compose a poem incorporating the bride and groom's names. In this case, my aunt's name is the "blessing like" and her husband's is the plum. If I get married, I'm going to task my father with writing a poem using my name. That should be fun.

Reply to My Son Huo
[4 lines of 7 words]
 
Holding pen fresh sheet start writer’s block
No heart for words heavy as mountains
From today not abiding under family roof
Won’t you ever in life come back?
 
 
In honor of my daughter’s wedding
[4 lines of 7 words]
 
Plum flowers first blossoms to be seen
Early spring daughter tries on bridal gown
Ancient poem tells of man courting maiden
Blessing like pine cypress two hearts touch

No comments:

Post a Comment