Monday, December 17, 2012

Five poems about Johnny

Crying about grandson Johnny's early death by the garage door closing

1.
Cactus orchid just in bloom, too hurried
Transcends this life, return to the universe
Thinking about you, in your whole life there was no sorrow
Go back to truth and simplicity, in the light of the moon

2.
Our most painful sorrow is when we part
Even sadder, is separating from your bone-flesh
When we relive our old dreams
Only then, dreaming, can I hold and caress my boy

3.
Upon hearing the terrible news, my heart broke
The whole night, hard to sleep, helpless inward wrenching
Baby calves should remain, white hairs should leave
Our family tree's next generation is missing a house

4.
You were given a good name, called Long Peace
Who knows: heaven's jealousy, lack of compassion 
A flower bud blossoming, blown off by the wind
With heavy regret, this good work's carving incomplete 

5. 
Today I hold a pen and mourn my recently departed
Remaining impressions of your voice and likeness, obscured
As time passes, fading gradually, like water flows
Someday, with enduring sorrow, re-write poem 

Notes:
- My cousin Johnny was five years old when he was crushed to death accidentally by the garage door. He was born the same year I was, and died the same year I went to Taiwan for the first time.
- The verb for carving (zuo2) is specific to jade
- My grandparents selected these characters: Cang Le Yong Kang Ning (Long Happiness Lasting Health Peace) for the names of their sons' sons. This cousin was the son of the fifth uncle, so they all have Ning in their name. Johnny was the firstborn so my uncle combined the character of the first uncle's sons, Cang with his sons' character, Ning. My other cousins of this uncle are Le Ning, and Yong Ning.
- The verb for rewrite (teng2) means specifically final copy, not a draft
- On my mom's side, the generational names go: ...Da Wen Zang Hua* Guo Ding...my great grandfather was Da Rong, my grandfather Wen Wei, my uncles were Zang Pei, Zang Jun, Zang Zen, my cousins are Hua En and Hua Ming, and my oldest sister is De Hua.

No comments:

Post a Comment