Monday, March 29, 2021

1940 - age 39 Part 2

Now our family was split up in three places: my parents and brother's family in Huangmei, although occupied by the Japanese, because the farm areas are isolated, transportation was very inconvenient so fortunately was not disturbed by the Japanese army; and my wife and three kids lived in Shanghai inside the French Concession, more or less safe; I by myself living in Ganzhou, both my work and private life were pretty comfortable. My main job was at Yumin Bank, I also had another job with the China Tea Company. Yumin Bank paid me pretty well. This year, we got a bonus of $4,380. I put this money into the bank savings account. All the bank employees got high-interest rates and the China Tea Company paid me $280 every month, I also had a bonus of $2300. So my income was pretty good. In the spring, I had planned to bring my mother to Ganzhou so I could take care of her. Because of wartime, the transportation wasn't good and it's even harder for old people to travel far. My mother also could not bear to leave her home. That's how my plans were unfulfilled. Next, I traveled to Shanghai because at that time there were boats traveling between the inner city and Shanghai so I planned to take the boat.

There was a Nanchang Printing Company, the president was Mr Den. He also moved his factory to Ganzhou. He needed to buy some supplies in Shanghai and he came to visit me to discuss a transfer of funds. He knew that I had family in Shanghai so he asked me to travel with him. At that time, General Manager Mr Du approved this suggestion and my absence from my work in Yumin Bank. He gave me a month's leave. So on July 16, I and Mr Den took the bus from Ganzhou to Nancen. In Nancen, Mr Den learned of some road closures between there and Shanghai so we waited several days in Nancen. The roads remained closed so we had to return to Ganzhou. Our bus needed some repairs. On the 21st, we started traveling again. That day was my birthday and in the morning, because of traveling, I only drank a glass of water. I spent my birthday on the bus. At noontime, we arrived at a place where Mr Den treated me to lunch at a restaurant. The food was very good. So it was my birthday dinner. Every birthday, I usually think about my mother. I think that I didn't have a chance to take care of her. A lot of times, I shed tears about this. On that day at 3PM, we arrived in Ganzhou. I canceled my leave and returned to work.

In the suburbs of Ganzhou, there's a famous tourist spot called Yugu Pagoda. In the Tang Dynasty, the governor was named Li Mian. He came to Yugu Pai. This spot has been the subject of many historical poets and many people have written poems about this place. The year before, I was going to go from Ganzhou via Hongkong to Shanghai, I was waiting in Guangzhou for four days. During those four days, I made a trip to Yugu Pai. So I had a good impression of that place. And I also wrote a poem in my collection.

Chiang Jieshi's oldest son Jinguo came back from Russia and Chiang Jieshi wanted him to have more experience so he assigned Jinguo to Jiangxi Province to serve under Governor Shong who assigned him to serve as Fa'ansiling (security) Vice Commander. Later on, he assigned him to the provincial government. Jinguo usually worked very hard and was devoted to all the people, especially the lower level people like factory workers and farmers. He was well respected by all the farmers and factory workers. At that time, our bank printed currency of $.50 by a printing company. This printing company also moved over from Nanchang to Ganzhou. One day I went to take a look at the factory. All the workers mentioned Jinguo. They didn't say "Mr Jinguo", they always called him "our special supervisor". He was well respected among all the workers. When we had the mid-autumn festival, Jinguo threw a huge party for all the lower workers and army and families. He treated everybody to a huge dinner. Eight people to a table, and at every table a local dignitary, the other seven were farmers and soldiers. I was also assigned to a table. At my table, everybody was an older farmer. I came from a poor farming family so felt very close to them. They all spoke Ganzhou dialect and I can only speak Jioujiang dialect so we couldn't communicate very well. The Special Supervisor gave a speech, it went very long. He said during the mid-autumn festival, we drink three kinds of wine: one kind is the wine made of blood because our soldiers are still at war; the second kind made by sweat because the farmers and factory workers were working so hard; the third kind made by tears, our whole nation wanted to fight the intruders and we were all working together to wash out the oppressor. After he said this, everybody was very touched. I always remembered his speech. Every time I had a chance to talk with friends, anyone who had been at this dinner remembers that. We always said Chiang Jieshi has someone to continue the work, like Solomon succeeding David. Later on, China's central government fled to Taiwan and Chiang Jinguo became the sixth president. We always recalled the time when we heard him. 

[Mom: Educated in Russia, he probably became a Communist. Jinguo really wanted the poor people to become wealthier and have better lives. He wasn't corrupt, wanting a lot of money for himself. He wasn't into drinking smoking and operas. He lived a very frugal life, eating vegetables.]

No comments:

Post a Comment