Sunday, August 06, 2017

1979 Preface: Ten-thousand purple

Spring Day by Song dynasty poet Zhu Xi

Sunny day, seeking young green at four waters' side.
Endless bright scenery, suddenly fresh.
Common people understand the east wind's face,
Ten-thousand purple, and a thousand red as being spring.


Qu Jingzhou's Self-Penned Annals

My friend, Zhou Xianwen, in his later years, exerted himself writing famous scholars' annals. In the beginning, he wrote mostly about economists. Later, he expanded to include poets, philosophers, and general scholars. Up til now, he has finished 150 biographies of this kind. He could be the expert in writing annals. After Mr. Zhou finished one, and it was published, he would send me a copy. Sometimes, he sent me a copy before it got published. I usually read it immediately. These annals' contents are true and concise. It is a real joy to go through it. Therefore, I can be called an expert in reading annals. 

I have another old friend, Yin Zongrong. He spent a lot of money to write annals for his hometown friend Guo Songtao. He died before he finished. I had written an article about Yin Zongron's project. After he died, Sen Junyi, a department secretary, and Senator Zhang Jioulu tried to write Yin Zongron's annual journal. I also helped with this endeavor. My opinion is, because I helped write and read so many other annals, writing for others or having others write about you is not as truthful or interesting as autobiography. 

Hu Sizi usually encouraged people to write their autobiography. It's quite meaningful. Therefore, I am writing my own. 

1979 July 11 Preface

No comments:

Post a Comment