Sunday, May 03, 2015

Strong hospitality

Woodpecker by Zu Qinyu

Thud thud towards evening rapid then plodding.
Having pecked every Pagoda tree* in the garden, still won't leave. 
All day long, ridding of pesky bugs for you.
Do not scold, "Lacking business, why don't you fly off?"

*my mom told me about the phrase point the finger at the mulberry; angry at the Pagoda tree--basically scold one person when you're mad at someone else.


Chapter 10: Kogai - where I stayed close to Port of Tokyo, close to the Embassy. I rented a room and the landlord were so kind and hospitable: they always made me breakfast that was nutritious and delicious. The landlady wouldn't take money for board, only rent, saying, "I'm not a restaurant." For seven years, they never increased my rent. 1964-1971.

Senze Room

Becoming neighbors once again, arriving in Fusang.*
The room in Senze, cannot forget:
Lining the house, pine trees form a pretty color,
Outside the window, orchid plants give off subtle fragrance. 
Arranging pillows and mats: Cenfan's bed.
Displaying musical instruments and books: Dupu's study.
The most leisurely day off,
An old man happily tells of the navy returning home.

*another name for Japan

I wrote this poem to describe the area. I lived in Senze once before and this time I came to live in Kogai. Because of how nicely the landlord treated me, it reminded me of the time I lived in Senze.


No comments:

Post a Comment