Monday, January 14, 2013

Reply to brother-in-law

In reply to my younger sister's husband Xien Zhang's letter

Your letter arrived, I opened it, and read it as a poem
Writing back, as I please, talking about old times
Made me suddenly remember what happened in the provinces of Ching & Gui
Broken-hearted difficulties and sadness endured together

We had no happy days there
Secretly you left without saying anything to me
By the time I found, you had already departed
In my heart, so sour, praying for your safe journey

Fortunately, my older brother was there in my place
Thirty years have past to the turning point of fate
I'm thankful to heaven for protecting you
Hitting rock bottom, at the end, goodness follows 

Heaven destined us to face this wretched world
Fleeing war, we headed westward
Renting in a different territory, nothing we can do
As age grows older, makes things sadder

At leisure, strange music, I'm homesick
What day can we return to our hometown?
I don't expect when drink to our hearts content
Today we are blessed to meet in this other place

We are all sojourners at the ends of the earth
You and I both at our old age depend on our children
Then we'll taste happiness with limit
"Does this nonsense make you laugh?"

Your sister Jun, 
I'm writing in reply to your letter, and send greetings to both of you

No comments:

Post a Comment