Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nainai's poetry, part 3 + Gonggong first entry

Last night at my weekly dinner with my parents, my mom and I not only finished translating a mini-biography my dad had written for his high school reunion and two more of my grandma's poems, we also started on a collection of my maternal grandfather's poems. It's funny because I believe I take after these two grandparents the most (my nainai and gonggong). My mom calls our translation time "gong ke", meaning homework. It's way more fun than any homework I can remember.

Here are the two composed by Nainai:
Epiphany
[8 lines of 7 words]

Shift your gaze seventy years now abide
Like ocean waves pulled by the tide
Sweet bitter spice sour I've all tasted
Known chaos, homes left war wasted
So glad heaven sent rains of favor
Sons and daughters my silver hair's savor
Ready for return to life's next plane
As a fairy or flying yellow crane

Untitled
[4 lines of 7 words]

Worries troubles over, forgetting there's a me
Corpses walking mere piles of senseless boredom
Friends' invites, inviting kin just pass time
This empty room stay feeds my loneliness 


And, although he wished each poem to appear on its own page, this is the first of my grandfather's poems in the collection's first section titled Chang Jiang (Yangtze River, indicating his childhood spent in that region):


Spring Day
[5 lines of 4 words] 
I chose this because it is nearly the first one I wrote when I was learning poetry composition.

The year comes to spring
Heaven's heart moves change forth
Hills rivers display dawning light
Grass trees have beaming halos

No comments:

Post a Comment